CONFEDERATE GUARDS ARTILLERY,
aka Grisham’s Battery, & aka Capt. W.D. Bradford’s Battery
(from Dunbar Rowland’s “Military History of Mississippi, 1803-1898”)
Of Pontotoc County, mustered in April 27, 1861
Captains -- John O. Grisham, William D. Bradford.
First Lieutenant -- John H. Hoy.
Second Lieutenant -- Samuel W. Weatherell.
Third Lieutenant -- W. D. Bradford, promoted.
Captain Grisham’s battery was ordered from Mississippi to Wilmington in October, 1861. The battery was included in the brigade of Gen. Samuel G. French, late Chief of Ordnance of Mississippi, who was assigned to command of the district of the Pamlico in North Carolina, March 17, 1862. The returns show the battery under the command of Captain Bradford, in Branch's artillery battalion, Department of North Carolina, Gen. D. H. Hill, June 30, 1863; in the Department of Richmond, under General Elzey, July 31, 1863, and assigned to Coit's battalion in the Richmond defenses. Coit's battalion served in North Carolina in the early spring of 1864, aided in repelling the attack of Butler at Swift creek and Drewry's bluff, participated in the defense of Petersburg by Hoke and Bushrod Johnson, and "has also since been engaged constantly," reported the chief of artillery February 28, 1865. Bradford's three guns, 20-pounder Parrotts, were on the morning of June 18 placed in position on the north side of the Appomattox to sweep with an enfilade fire the left of General Beauregard's new line, which they had occasion to effectively defend the same day. Next day, they were reinforced with other batteries from Lee's army, including the Madison Light Artillery in Poague's battalion, while Humphreys' brigade took position in the trenches. The famous mine explosion was under the salient held by Pegram's battery of Coit's battalion. The battery also had two 12-pounder guns. Lieutenant A. J. Cochran's section was with Garnett's brigade in October, 1864, and later on the Weldon Railroad. [END OF AN ALL TOO BRIEF HISTORY OF THIS HEROIC BATTERY]